The world is a much lesser place without Joe. As we mourn his loss, we remember all the wonderful memories we have of him...just collecting pictures for this post blessed me completely, knowing we have such a treasure trove of photos and memories and a legacy of love from this dear old soldier!
I met Joe in the summer of 2002 when I was working for British Airways. He was boarding a flight for Belgium to celebrate a WWII memorial there. A coworker had checked him in and knew that I just HAD to meet him. So I ran up to the boarding gate, got permission to upgrade his seat to Business class and called his name on the loudspeaker. I'll never forget the first time I saw this small, Italian gentleman, proudly wearing his WWII "Battle of the Bulge" baseball cap. We chatted for a while and he gave me his address so that I could get in touch with him when he returned from his trip. I sent a note and received a phone call the day he returned to the States. He and his wife invited me over to their house and it was the beginning of a beautiful friendship.
Joe's house - and life - was dominated by his experiences in World War II. I didn't understand the depth of this until I got to know him a little better. But I remember thinking that he was an historian's dream come true. He kept careful records of his wartime experiences - photos, all the letters written between him and his wife, articles, followup records, memorabilia. It was astounding. I was leaving for the Air Force and regretted that I couldn't spend more time with him. He said he had been waiting for someone to come along to write his story with him and was hoping I'd be the one to do it. Though I wasn't able to write his story the way he really wanted it to be told, I was happy to later collaborate with Joe and a European historian to document his life and wartime experiences.
Joe served in the 551st Parachute Infantry Battalion during the war. (You can read more details about his story at www.joecicchinelli.com if you are interested.) His training and service took him to Panama, then Europe. He participated in Operation Dragoon and the Battle of the Bulge, and was part of the only bayonet attack to take place in the European theater during World War II. He saw many, many of his comrades killed around him and was injured and taken as a prisoner of war by the Germans in the winter of 1944-45. The train carrying him to his prisoner of war camp was attacked by Allied planes, wounding him in the shoulder. His camp was later liberated by the Russians, who promptly imprisoned the Americans as potential spies. He was highly decorated for his bravery and his selfless care and aid toward his fellow soldiers. He loved his comrades deeply. He always told me he wanted the title of his book to be called not "Band of Brothers", but Blood Brothers.
Joe married his sweetheart, Viola Jean, before he left for Europe...and when he returned after the war, he found that she had given birth to his daughter months before. He loved Jean so much...and what a delightful woman she was! I am so glad I was able to meet her, too, before she passed away in October 2004.
I was able to join Joe and his family as they laid Jean to rest at Arlington National Cemetery in Washington D.C. It is where Joe will be buried, too.
Joe was never quite the same after Jean's death. He had carried the scars of war with him throughout his life. Physically, he never fully recovered from his injuries. But emotionally and mentally, he struggled a great deal with all he had faced. Despite this, he soldiered on and continued to serve his country and community, and became somewhat of a beloved celebrity in Europe, where people still remember with great love and respect, the men who liberated their lands from the Germans. He made frequent trips there and collected several adopted family members along the way. One baby was born to a family who loved Joe and they gave him the middle name of "Goya Joe"! (G.O.Y.A. was the slogan of the 551st PIB - meaning "Get off your ass!")
It was so special to introduce my own family members to him, as well. Josh, Jake and Sarah all got to meet him in November 2004 - then we visited again at Christmas in 2006. We always made a visit to Grandpa Joe a priority each time we were in Phoenix.
Grandpa Joe got to know Jack as a baby, and we actually spent a night at his house, made him dinner and his favorite homemade treat that his wife used to make him. It was a special time!
Though Joe was born in Pennsylvania, his family had moved to Massilon, Ohio in the 1930s, so that is really where he called home. It is where he returned to Jean after the war. In the summer of 2009, we were living in Ohio and Joe flew out for a visit on the farm and to reconnect with some family members and friends in Ohio. We had some wonderful days on the farm with him.
And then we had the privilege of touring around his old stompin' grounds of Massillon with him as a tour guide! Here he stands proudly in front of one of the houses he lived in.
Joe was often lonely, though he was well loved by so many. He stubbornly insisted on living independent - and he did a good job for many years. But he did light up whenever we spent time with him. Jack and I were in Phoenix for Christmas 2009 and we invited him to spend Christmas morning with my family...it was just wonderful.
I am so glad that my husband was able to have Joe as a friend, too. In fact, Josh was able to go to Phoenix in June of this year and visit with Joe for a bit. Josh hadn't been to Arizona for quite a while, so we are thankful for his chance to say goodbye then. (This picture was taken in September 2010.)
Here are some photos of our visit with him at Christmas in 2011.
And in the Spring of 2013, while carrying baby Joe inside of me and just days before finding out that he was a boy and we'd have a Joe of our own, the boys and I spent a nice day with Joe. Picking tangerines or feeding the quail in his yard was always a highlight for the boys. Riding in his golf cart was also a treat!
While searching through photos, I came across this sweet video. I forgot that I had captured this playful moment between Grandpa Joe and our boys. I am so sad that our Joe didn't get to know his namesake. But we will be sure to tell him all about our special Grandpa Joe.
We will never forget our Grandpa Joe. He was precious to us and we cherish our times with him. We are grateful for his love for us and so many others. And we are so glad that we have a little Joe of our own to remember this remarkable man. Though we miss him, we know that his body, mind and soul have finally found peace...something that has eluded him for 70 years.
Farewell, Grandpa Joe. We love you so much.
Joseph Mario Cicchinelli
August 27, 1923 - October 9, 2014









2 comments:
What an honor to know and get to love our Joe. He was certainly a character but we are all richer for having known him. Heaven is sweeter still.
Thank you for your sweet tribute to such a wonderful man. I did not know most of that story! What a rich history to pass on to your boys!
Post a Comment