Friday, February 12, 2010

A special day

On Thursday we were at Apartment #2 and had our usual play time outside with the neighborhood kids. Jack LOVES being there, and I actually enjoy the interaction with the kids there much more than at Apartment #2, where most of the kids have nannies and are really ill-behaved.

For the past several weeks, I have been drawn to the family that lives just next door to us. There are five children, ranging in age from maybe 7-15 or so: Ana, Hassan, Fatima and Hussein (twins) and little Nadine. I've only been able to really get to talk to the girls. Ana, the oldest, speaks English very well and just kisses and loves on Jack. She calls him "Jackie". Fatima is precious - she is the one who tried to teach me the numbers in Arabic the first time we met. Little Nadine is so dear - a little timid and I've hardly heard her speak a word - but she is kind and patient with Jack. The boys are always cheerful and friendly and even the father, when he pulls up in his car from work, always stops and waves and says "Hello!" to Jack!

Yesterday, we were sitting on this family's front steps and Fatima brought out a music player with Arabic music. Jack began to dance, which delighted everyone. Ana, who was standing in the balcony overhead, said, "That is song of my country!" I said, "Are you from Qatar?" "Oh no...we are from Iraq."

My heart leapt within me. For several years now, Josh and I have both had a heart for the people of Iraq. I suppose mine began when I was in college and had the brief privilege of teaching English to two high school Iraqi girls before their father decided they had enough education and were ready to marry. Of course, having spent three months there in the Spring of 2004 on military deployment allowed me to see only a very limited, negative side of the country - we were under some of the heaviest attacks in the history of our occupation there. I stepped over body bags of young American troops in the back of C-130s and felt my heart harden to these people who were suddenly my enemy.

But the people are not my enemies. Countries make mistakes. Wars and atrocities happen. But God is in control and He loves each of these people. Iraq is a country with a rich heritage and culture - it is the land of Mesopotamia, where Abraham and Sarah came from in the Bible - where there were Hanging Gardens, great libraries, the first cuneiform writing and the first division of the circle into 360 degrees, the day into 24 hours, etc. I have long prayed for a chance to really get to know some Iraqis themselves. Josh and I have even talked about one day, when hopefully Iraq is more stabilized, going there to shine the Lord's love and to help the people.

Ana and her family came to Qatar about "5 or 6 years ago", she said. She talked of how much she loves Iraqi food and music and how her mother can make the best food. I asked Fatima what city she came from in Iraq, Baghdad? She lit up and said, "Yes Baghdad!" and then excitedly told her sister something in Arabic about "Baghdad"...I imagine she was somehow excited to know that an American knew something about her homeland.

When their father came home that evening, Ana said, "Baba, this is Kamie and Jackie!" "Nice to meet you...and where do you come from?" I told him America. "Ah...America...I studied in Pittsburgh for my PhD...America is a nice country." When I told him we lived in Ohio, he said, "Why...we are neighbors! I love Ohio!" We all headed to our individual homes for dinner, bidding one another goodnight. The father said, "Please, you come knock on our door any time!"

I was so thrilled...I am STILL so thrilled. I knew there was something about this family that I loved. They seemed more humble and down-to-earth than the Qatari families I've seen. They dress and live simply, with no pretense....and here their father has a PhD from America! I can't wait to get to know them more and pray for opportunities to befriend them and show kindness and love. If the time comes, I may share with them that I was in Iraq, but I will say that I did research and studied history for the American troops or something very basic.

Thank you Lord for this special opportunity. Thank you for putting us in that apartment complex where we may be able to befriend this family, to find out about their own story and to show love and compassion.

Here are a few pictures...the first is of Ana, Nadine and Hassan (in the back behind the other boy) and the second picture shows Fatima and Nadine. Hopefully, we'll have some more pictures to share later....I had a video, but it refuses to upload!


1 comment:

Dana Erickson said...

What an awesome post! It melts my heart just reading it that you are able to befriend such great people. :)