Monday, September 9, 2013
Claudia
I've realized that throughout our lives, God blesses us with extraordinary, deep, impactful relationships that defy explanation and convention. One of the most special of these relationships came in the form of our free-spirited, loving, take-charge midwife in Kaua'i, Claudia Brown. We found out we were moving to Hawaii on very short notice in 2010 and made the move when I was 35 weeks pregnant with George. I was overwhelmed, but found Claudia after an internet search and sent her an email. Within hours, I received a phone call from her and just the sound of her voice put me at ease. She assured me everything would be fine and that this birth would be amazing and reminded me to just rest and not lift anything too heavy! When we arrived on Kaua'i, she hugged me and welcomed me like a long-lost family member and I felt immediately at peace with our decision to have her attend a home birth. She was so much more than a midwife for me...she was the mother figure I needed, the no-nonsense voice of assurance when I felt like giving up and a "Tutu" for my boys. Leaving Kaua'i was a really difficult experience for us, but Claudia's loving goodbye and the assurance that she would come to us wherever we were to deliver our next baby was a huge gift.
This weekend, our Claudia passed away after battling cancer. She was surrounded by her family and friends and the huge community of women and families who have been touched so deeply by her generosity. We are grieving the loss of such a special person...but celebrating her life and legacy. And, as I am just days/weeks away from giving birth for the third time, I'm carrying her with me. I'll be hearing her voice telling me that I can do this and that my body was built for this. So...her promise to be with me whenever I gave birth to our next baby will be true - she will be there in my heart.
Farewell, Claudia. We love you and miss you so much.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Sorry for your loss Kam. I know she meant a lot to you.
I am sorry, my Kam. I know how much you loved her. I am so thankful for the wonderful opportunity you had to meet such a loving and wonderful woman with such a grand heart for others...free spirit that she was!! She impacted so many and her words will live on as you ready for birthing our sweet Joe. Mama hugs sent your way...you feel em??
Kameron, I came across this beautiful tribute while browsing articles about Claudia, whom we all miss so terribly. don't know if you remember me: fellow homeschooler and Claudia mama on Kauai. good to "hear" about your life these days ... sending you prayers!!
Post a Comment