Thursday, October 27, 2011

Thoughts on turning 34...

"Oh taste and see that the Lord is good." Psalm 34:8

As most of you know, yesterday was my 34th birthday. I read the 34th Psalm in honor of the day, and indeed, I can say with the Psalmist, I have tasted and seen that the Lord is good!

The morning started with Jack helping me make birthday pancakes with bananas, chocolate chips and mix-in sprinkles. He said, "Make cake, Mama?" I said, "No, we are making pancakes!" His reply: "No. Happy Birthday to you Mama cake!" :-) I opened all of my sweet cards and gifts at breakfast...feeling so loved by so many people! Thank you!

After breakfast, Josh went for a run and I took the boys on a walk into our cute little town. We stopped at the Koloa Mill Ice Cream shop which serves coffees and shave ices. I was treated to a half-off mocha frappucino (yum!) and the boys shared a small coconut shave ice. Then we stopped by the post office on the way home and found a BIG box waiting for us! It was a special present from my mom and dad which made me jump up and down like a little girl!

After putting George down for a nap, I was off to my previously-arranged special day. Let me take a moment to tell you about my wonderful husband. He is an amazing father and husband and knows how to love us all very well on a daily basis. He watches the boys so I can go to the weekly women's Bible study, which means the world to me. He does countless things every day to help me and encourage me and provide for us and give our boys a strong foundation. That is gift enough. But he set up a special spa treatment at the Anara Spa in the Grand Hyatt resort at the beach!

Truthfully, I've never done anything like this, so I was a bit intimidated. My treatment was a Pineapple Papaya Hydration session...wow! But they advised that I come early to explore all of the facilities. So, I did!

I left the car with the complimentary valet service (that alone seemed luxurious to me!) and walked through the stunningly beautiful grounds of this huge resort. After a friendly tour of the spa, I was handed a plush white robe and slippers and told to have a wonderful day. Everything was just the epitome of luxury - the locker rooms had beautiful wooden lockers and complimentary lotion, soaps, hair products, brushes, etc. There were large glass jugs of things like citrus-infused ice water or tropical iced tea sitting around everywhere, not far from the stacks of perfectly folded, fluffly white towels!

My first stop was the 25-yard lap pool. Swimming laps still comes as easily to me as breathing and I really enjoy it. I swam for about 30 minutes, then set off to explore the other things. I spent a few....seconds....in the 118 degree eucalyptus steam room. It was so hot, I almost fainted. Then I went to the traditional sauna. A little better, but still too hot. Then I took a Swedish shower, bathing suit and all - with twelve shower heads in every direction! That combined with the delightful mango coconut shampoo and shower gel was delightful! By the time I combed my hair and put the plush robe back on, they called my name and escorted me into a beautiful garden area to wait for my "treatment"! Here they had citrus, granola, avacodo-cucumber deviled eggs and other healthy treats offered for the guests.

As I sat in that beautiful area, staring out at the island foliage all around me, listening to birds chirping and feeling the sweet breeze...I was so overwhelmed by God's goodness. Not because I was at an extravagant spa getaway - but because His beauty surrounds us everywhere...and it has been created because He takes delight in seeing US take delight in His handiwork! In nature...in loving relationships....in quiet moments. He is so good. I thought about how life itself is such a gift...and though it was the anniversary of my birth, I prayed in that moment that I might always offer my life to Him as a living sacrifice...a gift.

A male technician came to get me and I must admit, I was a little intimdated by this. But he was extremely professional and modest and ended up being a huge blessing! He is a Believer in Christ and our conversation about God, church, ministry, etc. ended up being an encouragement to both of us. The treatment was a papaya scrub for 25 minutes and then a 25 minute pineapple cream massage. My aching ankle, legs, lower back...felt like new! It was wonderful.

After the treatment, I relaxed on a lounge chair by the jacuzzi and soaked in the quiet and restfulness, then set off to have some lunch before heading home. I sat at a small table overlooking the ocean and a small pond with Koi and a swan. My lunch was very "girly" - a "Summer Blossom Salad" consisting of sprouts, clover-looking greenery, mint and pansy blossoms with paremsan cheese curls and a balsamic vinaigrette...YUM!

All of this was so wonderful and greatly appreciated. But coming home to my husband and my boys was probably the best part of the day. We spent the late afternoon/evening swimming in the ocean and seeing more of God's beautiful creation: a sunbathing monk seal, sun rays penetrating through clouds, dozens of kinds of tropical reef fish.

It was a wonderful day and I'm so thankful to all of you who truly made it feel special. I don't deserve it. Thank you, Josh, for the sweet and thoughtful gift and for the time to relax a little. I love you so much.

Thank you Lord for the gift of life and for the beauty you surround us with daily!

3 comments:

Becky Kerger said...

Glad you had a wonderful day my sweet girl. Wish we could have celebrated with you...like a trip to the Kauai Quilt Shop? Enjoy the year ahead...love you always, ma

Morgan Family said...

What a beautiful start to your new year. I am so glad you enjoyed yourself. Give Josh a hug from me thanking him for taking such good care of my big Sis!

Gentry said...

Oh Kam, you are such a beautiful, wonderfully descriptive writer. I love reading your posts. I am SO glad that you got to be pampered for the day! You deserve it. It sounded like a wonderful treat. (good job, Josh) Wish I could have been there to give you a hug. Love and miss you so much!!